Monday 18 June 2012

In the blink of an eye....(posted by Judith)

Well, it seems an age since the girls came to stay for a few days, but I wanted to let you know how we all got on, and post one or two pictures of our time together.

The weather was absolutely atrocious for most of the few days that we spent together, so sadly, we didn't manage to spend our afternoons drinking tea outside in the garden. My OH had spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the garden looking just so, in time for the arrival of our VIP guests.

We have lots of little areas around the house for sitting and relaxing, but not in a downpour! So we stayed inside, and made the best of the bad weather. We still ate plenty of cakes......

Elaine was our cake maker extraordinaire for the trip and she made some Apple Scones. Chocolate and Orange cupcakes, and my personal favourite, Lemon Drizzle cake.
She got to grips with my range cooker and knew where everything was in the kitchen by the time she was ready to leave!
One of the days the girls were here, Linda Elbourne came to see us, and taught a class for us. We made a great project incorporating an altered suitcase and a mini book. It was lovely to see Linda, and to catch up with her. We took a class with her when we had our last holiday together, so this was a little bit of history repeating itself.
This is my suitcase all finished with its little labels and the paint job all done. My book is almost finished as well, but it need the holes for the book rings. My Big Bite just can't quite manage the job, so my OH is going to make the holes for me. Linda had a fabulous tool that makes holes in leather belts that made her holes. This is her book:
We spent far too much time chatting as per usual, and didn't get our project finished during the class. That's always the way I'm afraid! Linda was telling us that she is hanging up her crafting hat for a while, and becoming a pub landlady, you may have seen the announcement on her blog. She will be crafting again once she is settled, but she will be busy getting herself sorted out to start with. Happily for me, she will still be within driving distance of where I live, so I may have to stop in for a Pimm's!


We had another visitor the next day, Paula Whittaker. She lives not that far from me, and she came and had a crafting session with us as well. We were very honoured to see some of her fabulous creations that she had brought with her. It is lovely to get to know crafters online, but even more special when you get to meet them face to face.

So after all the weeks of planning, and emails flying backwards and forwards, our time together has been and gone. I hardly dare tell my OH that we'd like to do it all again next year......!

Judith xx

10 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

Glad you had a brilliant time despite the weather.
Paula (PEP)

craftimamma said...

Oh it does go so quickly doesn't it but then all the best times do. It was so good of you and your lovely OH to host our get together as the times we can all four be together are very few and far between. Looking at the pic of those gorgeous apple scones makes my mouth water. The weather didn't behave unfortunately but it really didn't spoil our time together and it was great that we got to have a second workshop with Linda and meet Paula too ...... two very special and very talented ladies.

Lots of love
Lesley Xx

Paula Whittaker said...

It was wonderful to meet you all in person - youre a fab bunch of ladies - just hope I get to meet up with you all again,soon I hope!

Elaine said...

Judith, it was lovely reading your post and bringing very special memories of our time together back. Your garden is beautiful and all Terry's work showed it off at it's best. Maybe the rain meant we didn't sit out and enjoy the garden, but it did mean it looked beautifully green and I enjoyed exploring the plants and listen to the birds singing in odd moments we had to spare!

Thank you for letting me loose in your kitchen, I enjoyed the cooking as my own contribution to our treats!

As well as having our precious time together, it was brilliant that Linda taught one of her last clases with us before she moves on to her new role as a pub land lady. The other icing on the cake was of course that Paula joined us and we had a lovely morning pottering on crafty things when she was with us.

Thanks again for making our gathering possible. It was a wonderful few days and we couldn't have done it without yours and Terry's generosity and hard work!

Elaine xxx

Aquarius said...

Thanks for sharing some pictures of your lovely time together and I can see from the smiling faces that it was a success despite the weather. Bad weather is an excuse to stay in crafting anyway and that suitcase project looks brilliant and of course you need a few 'sugar hits' to be creative!!

Unknown said...

I had THE BEST time ... you were all such wonderful hosts ... Thank you for having me! And next time ... don't forget ... it's Pimms in my garden :0)

Kathryn said...

Hey ladies x glad to hear you had fabby time xx

Christine B. said...

Hi glad to here you all had a fabulous get together again. Hugsx ChrisB

Sarah said...

What a lovely pic of you all Judith! I can't wait for us to get together at HSNW again at the end of September - it's an age since I last saw Elaine. Super projects too, and it looks like you had a wonderful time. Sarah x

Margaret T said...

happy to note how crafters share & enjoy time together! I love the vintage suitcase and book!