Wednesday 15 September 2010

Courtesy of Morticia's Wardrobe? (posted by Jo)

This project was a long time coming for a number of reasons. I haven't been around much over the summer to do any crafting and when I have, it seemed I didn't have all the materials I wanted for my canvas. My plan changed several times and I only knew what colours I was going to use when I finally had a brush in my hand.

The canvas itself was coloured with Aqua and Cool Peri Adirondack Dabbers. I applied the first layer with a baby wipe and then added extra texture and depth of colour with a natural sponge. Over the top I used a Tim Holtz Cobweb mask, sponged through with Dusty Concord Distress ink.


The Grungepaper squares gave me some problems. I was in two minds as to whether to go for a lighter or darker contrast with the canvas. But the first of my elements looked lost on the lighter colour background so I went with Dusty Concord. I was disappointed at first with the colour and considered using a white card with the ink or embossing a ready coloured card. But I did like the velvet texture of the Grungepaper and wanted to keep the textile feel to the squares. In the nick of time I remembered inking Grungepaper roses at Linda Elbourne's workshop at LB Crafts. She told us we needed to really work the ink into the surface and we certainly hammered the Cut n Dry foam getting our flowers coloured that day. So I tried again with the Dusty Concord on my squares and got a much more vivid colour. I embossed with a Jamara Cuttlebug folder but the embossing didn't show too well so I went back and picked out the raised surface with Black Soot and got an effect I was really pleased with. The word 'goth' wasn't in my head until I read the comments on my sneak peek but the black and purple velvet/flock effect is straight out of Morticia's wardrobe.

To colour the tag on which the images were stamped, I used Tumbled Glass, Dusty Concord and a little Faded Jeans. I dabbed these onto my craft mat, spritzed with water and dipped in the tag. Over this background I used a Tattered Angels Ironworks masks. It is a fantastic iron gate. I picked out the shape in more Dusty Concord then stamped over the top. The stamps I used are mostly Inkadinkado but the 'Trick or Treat' and 'Shadows' text is from a new Halloween plate by Elusive Images.  

I didn't have the Tim Holtz Fragments that Linda used on her tag in the original project but I got by using three Creative Acrylics pieces and a few round and square acrylic 'pebbles' which I've had for a while.


I added into the mix a variety of Grungeboard minis which were painted with a Silver Dabber and immediately embossed with silver embossing powder. This gave the paint a lovely bubbled effect and even the tiny pieces look quite gnarly. I also used a couple of pieces painted with Aqua Dabber. I tried quite hard to repeat motifs across the canvas to pull everything together. A chipboard arrow echoes the spikes on Crow Gate and a tiny star flourish in a square pebble (sorry, lost in the glare on the main photo below) echoes the silver chipboard stars. Can you spot the others?

Sadly, I wasn't able to make the word 'Boo' with the type charms because there is only one 'o' in a set. So I computer generated my own letters.

I really enjoyed this project once I finally got to grips with it. I love the way I was able to use so many different elements and techniques. I know it is very different from Linda's canvas in the magazine but I feel I have put my own twist on the piece and was glad I was able to use what I had learned from her to get Grungepaper squares I was happy with. Thanks, Linda, for continuing to inspire us!


PS Sorry for the picture quality. I waited for daylight but it has been murky again today so no chance to improve on the photos I took in artificial light last night.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks amazing but I bet it looks even better in real life...wonderful work as always.

Elaine said...

Jo
I love the effect you have got on your grungepaper squares, adding that black soot has given a really luxurious feel. The cobweb mask on the canvas is gorgeous too. The hinges and metal corners work so well with the wrought iron elements - nice to bring in your love of architectural motifs. I love that crow too! This is really bold project and different for you, but another really individual interpretation of Linda's original project - really well done.

Elaine xx

craftimamma said...

Jo, This is absolutely fabulous! You certainly have stamped your own style onto this canvas but still shown where the original inspiration came from(i.e. Linda's). The colours you have chosen are stunning and as I have been in the throws of all things Halloween on my own blog I can really appreciate the imagery you have used.

Well done Jo, this was certainly worth waiting for and is a beautiful finale to this particular project.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

judith@poppy cottage said...

This is amazing Jo, I love the clours, right up my street! The Black Soot over your grungepaper is perfect to add that gothic look. I love that iron gate mask, it really is a personal favourite, and the stamps that you have used go so well with it. The sinister feel of the ravens with the iron railings is fab. Your computer generated letters are very clever, and the font is great. There are some really clever little touches, all going to make a really spooktacular piece, a very admiring well done my friend!!! Judith xx

Aquarius said...

I can see a lot of work has gone into this canvas and the finished result is brilliant. Thanks for sharing

veronica said...

lovely Jo - love the colours, and the cobweb mask, and the genreal spooky look

Evil Edna said...

spooktactular.EE

Val said...

Jo - this is fabulous 0 love the colours and all the elements you have included. It was worth the wait.

Hugs
Valxx

Unknown said...

Love this Jo. It was definitely worth waiting for!

Love

Jill
x

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it ... a lot ... I think your twist is stunning and very you ... which to me is what inspiration is all about ... a great job X
I want to Thank all of you ... I really really mean that ... I have LOVED all the projects and they have all given me a warm fuzzy feeling ... so THANK YOU XXXX

Christine B. said...

I really love this. The colours and the black soot work so well. Lots of work and all the individual elements come together so well. I'ts really beautiful. Hugs x ChrisB