Friday 5 March 2010

Here Come The Girls!

Thanks everyone for the warm reception you have given the blog and for your very kind comments on the finished projects. We never imagined we would draw so much attention.

It's now my turn to choose our next project from the March issue of Craft Stamper and I have decided on the fantastic art dolls by Sue Roddis. These can be found on pages 50-52 of the magazine.

I've always liked the idea of making an art doll, although I've never really known where to start. Sue's work has been a real inspiration to me since I read my first Craft Stamper several years ago. Taking on this project, I feel I have permission to make something which doesn't have to be pretty or to suit anyone but me. I have several ideas already and I'm not sure which one will pass the final audition so my sneak peeks might include body parts(!) that find their way elsewhere. I'm really excited about this particular project. With wooden cotton reels being so hard to find, one of the biggest challenges will be finding a base for my doll. Sue says in the article "I don't think the question should be 'what should I make an art doll from?' but rather 'what can't I make an art doll from?'" so I am going to try not to be too predictable with my materials.

Have fun with this one, girls!

7 comments:

Aquarius said...

I will be watching this space!!

craftimamma said...

This should be an interesting challenge for us all Jo. I haven't looked through my old chocolate tin full of cotton reels yet but I'm hoping I might have an old wooden one that I've inherited from somewhere.

Well, I think I'm definitely starting this one with a very 'blank page' - in my head as well as on paper, Lol! What will eventually emerge, I have no idea at the moment, but I'm looking forward to it.

Lesley Xx

judith@poppy cottage said...

Well Jo, I have never made an Art Doll before either! I have lots of ideas, but who knows if they will work out or not? I am really looking forward to getting my teeth into this project and tackling a completely different set of challenges, that's for sure! Good choice, crafting buddy, Judith x

Elaine said...

This is going to be a great challenge for us all Jo, I am mulling all sorts of ideas for my project, but I have never made an art doll before so I am going to be well out of my comfort zone - but in a good way.

Now I know I have some old cotton reels which I inherited from m Grandmother who trained as a milliner. Whether I will be able to bring myself to use one of them?!

Elaine x

Sue said...

What a great idea for a blog!! Am looking forward to seeing your art dolls when they are done......I am so chuffed to be your inspiration this month :)
Sue

Suzanne C said...

Sounds interesting and looking forward to what you ladies come up with.

Paula.Crafty Cow said...

luv your work its so inspiring, i have becime a follower.
Why not pop over to mine and check out the candy on offer.
Thanks Paula